Nonprofit Remote Digest - Issue #199
Watsi: directly fund low-cost, high-impact medical care for people in need.
Executive Director of Crowdfunding
Watsi is a nonprofit that builds technology to finance healthcare around the world. Our crowdfunding platform, which enables anyone to donate as little as $5 to fund life-changing healthcare for a patient across the world, has raised over $11M for more than 18,000 patients in 25 countries since launching in 2012.
Watsi partners with healthcare providers around the world to identify patients in need of care, crowdfund the cost of treatment, and provide updates to the donors who contributed. We maximize impact for patients by using technology to make our work efficient and scalable. We put transparency at the heart of what we do and ensure 100% of donations fund healthcare.
We're hiring an Executive Director to take the helm of our crowdfunding platform. In this role, you will be responsible for setting the vision and strategy for our crowdfunding program, collaborating closely with our board to develop sustainable goals, and executing on the expansion of our crowdfunding work. You will also be responsible for the day to day management of the crowdfunding platform, from publishing patient profiles, to supporting our medical partners, to communicating with donors.
What you'll work on:
Vision and Strategy
- You’ll set the vision and strategy for our crowdfunding work.
- You’ll develop sustainable goals and operating plans to enable our crowdfunding platform to achieve its mission.
- You’ll collaborate with our board to track progress against your goals, as well as report on challenges and opportunities transparently so that the board can provide the necessary support and make informed decisions.
- You’ll grow the crowdfunding team where needed, cultivate an inclusive, equitable working environment, and ensure our work is compliant with all governing regulations.
- You’ll be the keeper of the crowdfunding program’s current and future financial health, including owning the annual budget and managing our part-time accountant.
- You’ll develop positive relationships with our current funders and spearhead additional fundraising efforts as needed.
- You’ll engage the online donors who contribute on the crowdfunding platform, from evolving the website as needed to improve their experience, to fielding their daily support requests.
Medical Partner Management
- You’ll foster supportive and mutually beneficial relationships with the crowdfunding platform’s medical partners, from checking in with them on regular calls, to troubleshooting their questions, to evolving our medical partner administrative website as needed to better serve their needs.
- You’ll develop and sustain policies and procedures that put our patients and medical partners first, while ensuring the efficient and equitable allocation of resources.
- You’ll manage the daily review and publishing of patient profiles and updates.
- You’ll serve as the external representative of Watsi’s crowdfunding work, and liaise with everyone from leaders in global health, to corporate partners, to peer organizations in the tech for social impact space.
- You’ll synthesize and disseminate impact reports about our work’s impact internally to our board, and externally to our funders, online donors, and the public.
- You’ll grow and safeguard Watsi’s online presence and expand the Watsi brand, infusing all external communications with our values and ethos.
Who you are:
- You are passionate about Watsi’s mission and excited by the opportunity to grow our crowdfunding platform — bonus if you have past experience in social impact or nonprofit management.
- You have thrived in a previous role with sole responsibility for a project/program, and are excited by both the day-to-day execution work and accountability for long-term strategy that are united in this position.
- You have global experience and know what it takes to work successfully in low-income countries/emerging market settings — bonus if you have past experience in global/public health specifically.
- You understand technology and have experience using it to solve problems — bonus if you are familiar with basic technology and design principles and/or have past experience collaborating with technologists to improve a digital product or service.
- You have experience in developing and managing budgets, aligning a project’s goals with its resources, and being responsible for a program’s general financial health.
- You are an excellent collaborator and communicator and have successfully presented your team's work to internal and external audiences — bonus if you have past experience managing people directly.
What to expect at Watsi:
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." — Annie Dillard
- You will directly impact people’s ability to access healthcare — all while working with innovative technology to define a new industry.
- You will enjoy a flexible lifestyle — you can work from anywhere, during the hours that make sense for you, and take all the time off you need to recharge.
- You will receive a competitive salary, generous health, dental, and vision benefits, and a retirement plan with matching funds.
- You will join an organization that strives to build an inclusive culture made up of people as diverse as those we serve — we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
- Most important, you will have the opportunity to build the next phase of our organization, and shape what it’s like to work at Watsi for years to come.
How to Apply
We would love to hear from you. Please submit your resume and a note about why you’re interested in the role through our hiring portal.